This is a collaborative, six-month residency program open to U.S. and international artists of all artistic backgrounds and career levels to create new complete body of work through exploration of non-toxic contemporary printmaking. The Residency will include an education in printmaking, exhibition coordination as well as peer-to-peer support and the opportunity to sell your prints.
Applications are evaluated by a rotating committee of artists, critics, curators and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork and are awarded to two artists annually. Artists based in the New York City area and without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
The Residency Program includes:
- $500 stipend
- Access to a shared etching press and a 2,000 square foot studio
- Consultations with master printers
- Flat file storage space during term of residency
- Two (2) free weekend classes in printmaking
- 20% discount on all additional classes
- Inclusion in the Julio Valdez Studio permanent collection flat files, which are regularly reviewed by curators, dealers and private and corporate collectors
-Exhibition of completed works at our Project Space Gallery in our annual Artist-in-Residence exhibition.
- Students enrolled in full-time degree programs at the time of the residency are not eligible to apply.
- Artists without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
- Artist must reside or be able to stay in the New York metro area during the time of the residency. Although the studio residency award does not include housing, we can assist international and out of the metropolitan area applicants in securing affordable housing for the residency period. Please let us know if you will be needing a place to stay.
Please email your complete application to
December 20th, 2017. Materials must be submitted by 11:59PM EST by the deadline date, no exceptions. Award recipients will be notified by February 1st, 2017. Residency takes place from March 15, 2018 to August 15 2018.
- 8 digital images of recent (past 2 years) work. Images must be a jpg, 200dpi, RGB mode and a maximum size of 800 x 800 px. Label each image as: "Last Name_First Name_#" (ex. Smith_Pat_01.jpg).
- Image list: your name, work title, year, medium, and dimensions
- Resume and one paragraph artist statement in PDF format
- Names and contact information of two references
- Application fee of US $30, payable via paypal:
Applications will not be processed until the administrative fee has been paid.